At the beginning of the 20th century, the twins Manlio and Erminio Pirovano, little older than teenagers but already considered excellent designers, decided to leave Milan and move to Turin. At that time, the Piedmontese capital was considered the centre of Italian cinematography, where the art of film posters on lithographic stone developed. Not long after, the two young Pirovanos were known as the best colourists on the Italian and foreign markets. They gained the esteem of artists such as Mauzan, Dudovich, Nizzoli, Sacchetti, Seneca and Boccasile, who entrusted them with the reproduction of their works on stone, knowing that a flawed chromatic interpretation could distort the real beauty of their creative art.
With the end of the First World War, Turin gradually lost this hegemony, and the Pirovano twins returned to Milan, which at the same time confirmed its role as the city of business. In 1937, art was joined by entrepreneurial ability, which led the Pirovano brothers not only to reproduce but also to print their own works.
Their first investment was immediately a Planeta printing press, which in the 100×140 format allowed them to focus not only on printing posters, which had made them famous, but also on the increasingly popular “commercial” printing.
La Rinascente, Borletti, Mondadori, Olivetti and Venchi Unica are just a few of the big names that placed their trust in them.
Unfortunately, the desire to interrupt their activity during the Second World War forced them to start again from scratch.
Times had changed, and the art of lithography was increasingly being complemented by photolithography. This led the company to concentrate on the study of patented chemical products and plate engraving techniques, which were even exported across the Channel.
This period saw the beginning of the partnership with the great Armando Testa, who created the famous posters for brands such as Borsalino, Carpano, Facis, Pirelli and Baratti.
In the meantime, Manlio’s son, Giorgio, joined the twins.
He built the new plant on the outskirts of Milan in 1959, which soon led to the company’s introduction of simultaneous four-colours printing.
It was soon time for the founders to leave the helm completely to Giorgio. With his in-depth knowledge of the latest printing techniques, he continued to expand his business and began exporting his prints not only in Europe but also overseas.
In addition to commercial printing, over time, the company has also added the production of paper products. This has allowed Giorgio’s son, who has also joined the company, to continue to be a reference for the quality of the printing and also for the entire finished product.
This characteristic, much appreciated abroad, has allowed us to increase exports and make the Pirovano name known to all those companies looking for leading technology and quality, accompanied by that touch of craftsmanship which has made “Made in Italy” famous throughout the world for years.
The fourth generation of the Pirovano family, with Manlio’s son Giorgio, is ready to continue this challenge.
More than 90 years have passed since the founder reproduced the first posters. Still, passion, dedication and innovation will continue to motivate the company in its quest for excellence.